Monday, September 2, 2019

Teachers as Designers

The way students learn is constantly changing. New technology affords so many new ways to access curriculum and allow students to be more in control of gaining and retaining information. The process in which students learn can also be identified as a life-time skill. As designers, we can create ways and provide options for students to learn new material. We can provide lesson outlines with options in the way students discover new information so the students can choose their personal best path of learning. Our designs should be fluid in order to adapt to the needs of our learners.

4 comments:

  1. I like your thought of letting the students choose the way in which they access the information in the lesson. I think that acknowledges a good level of self-awareness on the students' part to be aware of how they learn; and in this digital age, students will most likely be able to quickly choose a preferred method of receiving information.
    That has me thinking of possibly presenting information in multiple ways, which I must admit, is a challenging thought. Have you thought of how this might look in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It’s really about learning styles. For example, I was teaching a jump rope unit recently. Each day we watched a 2-3 minute clip of different jump rope tricks before we went into the gym to try. Students who learned quickly were paired up with students who needed help. In this way, students were receiving instructions via various methods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you say the way students choose to learn can be identified as a life-time skill. I think it's important for students to identify they way that they learn best, but I also think it's important that students have an opportunity to learn in different ways. Once they are out of school, they are not always going to have the opportunity to learn one way all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life-time skill is critical for students developing the necessary mindset to adapt and change with the world around them. Like you said, technology is changing so rapidly......where will we be in 5 years is so challenging to predict.

    ReplyDelete