Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Being Creative in our Designs

One of my favorite PBL assignments that I give is allowing the students to create their own game. This opens up a world of opportunities for some fun and allows them to be the designers. While there are some time and equipment limits, this assignment is an example of how I interpreted the article "The Creative Spirit of Design" by Jason K. McDonald.
    Every year, I invite the students to wander in to the PE equipment room and look at the various items and pieces of equipment. Students are allowed time to experiment with their games and see what works and what doesn't. This is the "Imagination" step. Students are also allowed to work in groups if they wish. They have an outline on paper to work with but only to help them stay focused- a bit like a story board. Of course with any game, there need to be rules and directions on how to play. The students present their games and then the class actually plays them. It is in this process of playing when students discover if their game is actually playable. More times than not, the game lacks something.  As a group, we make suggestions on how to improve and try the game again. This is an example of the continual cycle of change and looking at all the possibilities we can create from one basic concept. The students really enjoy this project and I believe they learn many POG skills from it.
    My challenge to myself is how I can incorporate technology into this lesson. Any suggestions out there? :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think the existing project is a great one. Maybe you can incorporate technology by having students be required to use at least one digital item. Maybe it could be a digital stopwatch, or an app to emulate a golf club wing, or maybe even playing music.

    ReplyDelete