Someone asked if standards could be added to content area to include searching and evaluating skills. I believe it would be time well-spent to help students learn the importance of being productive online users. In fact, I think it will become one of those semester courses that all students will be required to take their Freshman year in high school or perhaps in college in the same way I had to take a Library Skills course my Freshman year in college.
Thursday, November 14, 2019
Synthesizing -with a Capital S
Putting some thoughts together and Synthesizing from the comments on this blog was easy. Most people know that a lot of time is wasted on social media and as adults, it is up to us to teach our students and perhaps ourselves to monitor our use. We all get that rush of dopamine when we check our social media and we are "tagged" or mentioned. I am sure this is an addictive feeling for many. I don't think I will ever close my Facebook page because it connects me to so many of my overseas friends and far-away family. The consequence of this is that I must self-monitor my time and be careful not to get distracted with click-bait and useless ads.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that this could become one of those required general education classes. Do you think students would be interested in taking this course? Or do you think students will think of themselves as good information consumers?
ReplyDeleteI think that maybe a quarter or a large project on "Information Management" could be implemented into the newly required personal management course that high school students have to take. That way, they are at least exposed to important searching and sorting skills before college.
ReplyDeleteI did not know that there was a newly required class called personal management! This would be a great place to integrate Net Smart skills for sure.
ReplyDelete